The Hoberg's Family.
In 1885, Gustav and Matilda Hoberg and 4 children settle on (Gustav's brother-in-law) George Krammerer's 160 acres near Boggs Mountain. Gustav buys an adjacent 80 acres from Mr. Goatze for $200 and builds a house for the family.
The hotel business was started a few years later when travelers would reach the Hoberg’s ranch, stop over to rest their horses and enjoy a bountiful home-cooked meal.
Though Gustav dies in 1895, Matilda and eldest son Max begin and expand on a resort that grows and thrives through 95 years and 4 generations of Hobergs. Prior to WWI, the resort catered mostly to German immigrants from the San Francisco Bay Area.
As the Hoberg’s reputation for hospitality spread, more people intentionally came to visit, ultimately they came to vacation.
By 1888, millionaires and celebrities alike began visiting Hoberg’s, including standing governors of California, members for San Francisco sports royalty,the San Francisco 49ers, and more, Hoberg's allure reached south to HollywoodLand where luminaries such as the infamous actress and royal paramour, Lillie Langtry, Clarke Gable, Jackie Gleason, and many other movie stars and entertainers were enticed by the resorts charm. Hoberg's is rumored to have even hosted the "infamous" as well, the outlaw Black Bart is said to have stayed at the Hoberg’s family ranch on more than one occasion.
After 1914, the resort became a popular summer family vacation spot and convention center that hosted both the famous and not so famous. At its height, Hoberg's could accommodate 1,000 guests in 220 rooms. The resort had an auditorium that could seat 1,000, a dining hall and kitchen that could accommodate 250, outdoor and indoor dance pavilions, 3 bars, barber and beauty shops, general store, coffee shop, tiled and heated pools, bowling alley, tennis court, lawn ballpark, and horse riding stables. Employees included 30 waitresses, 15 maids, 10 bartenders, 20 coffee shop employees, a 12-piece orchestra, 1 swimming instructor, and 1 physician.
Hoberg's Resort Timeline
➢ 1848 Matilda Slotzenwall born in Schleswig-Holstein Germany (Carpenter et.al. 1914:595).
➢ 1845 Gustav Hoberg born in Westphalia Germany (Carpenter et.al. 1914:595, Oscar Hoberg 1950:2).
➢ 1860 Gustav Hoberg moves to U.S. (Carpenter et.al. 1914:595, Oscar Hoberg 1950:2)
➢ 1871 Gustav and Matilda marry in Chicago then move to Wisconsin (Carpenter et.al. 1914:595)(or meet and marry in Wisconsin (Oscar Hoberg 1950:2).
➢ 1873 Max Hoberg is born in Wisconsin followed by siblings Paul, Helen and Oscar.
➢ 1885 Gustav Hoberg and family settle on 160 acres owned by Matilda's brother-in-law George Krammerer. Gustav buys 80 acres (where the resort now sits) for $200 from Mr. Goatze (Mauldin n.d.: 2545, Carpenter et.al. 1914:595).
➢ 1893-94 Gustav and son Max build a road from the Hoberg ranch to Cobb (taken over by county in 1918)(Mauldin n.d.: 2757)
➢ 1894 Travelers along the new road stop to rest their horses at the Hoberg House and are treated to Matilda's fine cooking. Soon it becomes a regular stop along the road. First paying clients stay at Hoberg's (Mauldin n.d.: 8171)
➢ 1895 Gustav Hoberg dies and Matilda and the sons open their home to hunters and campers to supplement their income. Several rooms are built (most likely the "Barn"). The cost per person was $7/week for room and board (Oscar Hoberg 1950:8)
➢ 1895 George Krammerer sends friends from San Francisco to the Hoberg's to vacation. Up until WWI, most vacationers were German immigrants (Mauldin n.d.: 2545).
➢ 1902 Max and Matilda buy out George Krammerer's 320 acres (Carpenter et.al. 1914:596).
➢ 1902 Max marries Teresa Bleus (Carpenter et.al. 1914:596)
➢ 1914 Telephone communication ties Hoberg's to the outside world. At this time the resort has 6 houses that can accommodate 100 guests, an 80-seat dining hall, social hall, concrete pool, bowling alley, tents on platforms, apple orchard, cattle, gardens, 200 chickens, and 25 acres of grain and hay (Mauldin n.d.: 8171, Carpenter et.al. 1914:597)
➢ 1917 Matilda retires at the age of 79 (Oscar Hoberg 1950:10, Mauldin n.d.: 8171)